Monday, August 3, 2009

On War And Worship

Experience has a way of refining (not defining) theology. To experience suffering has a way of reascending the reality that theology is far more than an assortment of theory. And, that faith is no mere, mental ascent. It is one thing to understand, beleive and agree the Jesus' words:
"If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it."

- Luke 9:23ff
Yet, it is another thing all together to have faith that leads to trust and obedience in times of trial and tribulation. I may agree with Jesus, for the sake of Him being God (and therefore He is infinitely true, good, beautiful, holy and loving), yet I may wince during times where I must literally deny myself. My flesh is weak. It is selfish and it struggles to deny Jesus of my devotion. My flesh seeks my comfort; it cheapens His suffering on the cross. To only be the inner, spiritual man. How much humility and mercy did the Jesus Christ my Lord live and die in the flesh. Sadhu Sundar Singh's anthem encourages me to press on:
The world behind me, the cross before me
The world behind me, the cross before me
The world behind me, the cross before me
No turning back, no turning back.

No comments: