Wednesday, January 20, 2010

On The Sovereignty Of God And Missions

"My heart rose up to the Lord Jesus; I saw Him watching all the scene. My peace came back to me like a wave from God. I realized that I was immortal till my Master's work with me was done. The assurance came to me, as if a voice out of Heaven had spoken, that not a musket would be fired to wound us, not a club prevail to strike us, not a spear leave the hand in which it was held vibrating to be thrown, not an arrow leave the bow, or a killing stone the fingers, without the permission of Jesus Christ, whose is all power in Heaven and on Earth. He rules all Nature, animate and inanimate, and restrains even the Savage of the South Seas."

- John Paton, John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebredes, An Autobiography Edited by James Paton (Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1965, orig. 1889, 1891), 207. Quote from John Piper, "You Will Be Eaten by Cannibals! Lessons from the Life of John G. Paton" at the Courage in the Cause of Missions 2000 Bethlehem Conference for Pastors, February 8, 2000. http://desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Biographies/1482_You_Will_be_Eaten_by_Cannibals_Lessons_from_the_Life_of_John_G_Paton/

No comments: