Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On The Depravity Of Man, God's Mercy, And The Freedom of Man

Today I was reading through Psalm 81 and came across vvs. 11f. Needless to say, my mind immediately thought of Paul's words in Romans 1:24-27. Consider:
So I gave them over to their stubbornness of their heart, to walk in their own devices
- Psalm 81:12

Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them.
- Romans 1:24

For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural.
- Romans 1:26
Needless to say, if one desires a practical illustration of Psalm 81:12, one only has to read Romans 1:18-32. It also raises the question, "What is the natural state of the heart of man?" Scripture seems to be clear, the devices of man are sin, and the heart of man appears to be naturally stubborn and in a state of rebellion against the Lord.

Lord as I read your word, Father, help me to have a repentant and soft heart. That, when I hear your Word that Your Holy Spirit would grant my heart faith, hope and love that would spring forth obedience in order to walk according to Your ways living by faith in the Son of God, Jesus, who lives in me.

No comments: