Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On God's Glory, Fear Of God, Nature And Love

Psalm 19:1 explains:

The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.

Lewis makes a nice connection between nature and glory.
Nature never taught me that there exists a God of glory and of infinite majesty. I had to learn that in other ways. But nature gave the word glory a meaning for me. I still do not know where else I could have found one. I do not see how the "fear" of God could have ever meant to me anything but the lowest prudential efforts to be safe, if I had never seen certain ominous ravines and unapproachable crags.
- C.S. Lewis, The Four Lives, in A Mind Awake: An Anthology of C.S. Lewis, ed. Clyde Kilby (New York: Harcourt, Brace and World, 1968), 202.

No comments: