Tuesday, August 23, 2011

On Prayer to God

"The purpose of the prayers and the meditations [of Anselm] is to stir up the mind of the reader to the love or fear of God, or to self-examination. The are not to be read in a turmoil, but quietly, not skimmed or hurried through, but taken a little at a time, with a deep and thoughtful meditation" (pg. 89)
Almighty God, merciful Father, and my good Lord,
have mercy on me, a sinner.
Grant me forgiveness of my sins.
Make me guard against and overcome
all snares, temptations, and harmful pleasures. (5)

May I shun utterly in word and indeed,
whatever you forbid,
and do and keep whatever you command.
Let me believe and hope, love and live,
according to your purpose and your will. (10)

Give me heart-piercing goodness and humility;
discerning abstinence and mortification of the flesh.
Help me to love and pray to you,
praise you and meditate upon you.
May I act and think in all things according to your will (15)
purely, soberly, devoutly,
and with a true and effective mind.
Let me know your commandments, and love them,
carry them out readily, and bring them into effect.
Always, Lord, let me go on with humility to better things (20)
and never grow slack.

Lord, do not give me over
either to my human ignorance and weakness
or to my own deserts,
or to anything, other than your loving dealing with me.
Do you yourself in kindness dispose of me, (25)
my thoughts and actions, according to your good pleasure,
so that your will may always be done
by me and in me and concerning me.

Deliver me from evil (30)
and lead me to eternal life
through the Lord.
St. Anselm, "Prayer to God," trans. Sister Benedicta Ward, S.L.G. (1973).

No comments: